This has to be the easiest dessert dish ever. I think I made it a little too sweet, so I would recommend using less sugar, especially because mango is really sweet itself. My version is very quick and very dirty, but it still tasted really good.
Mango sticky rice
- Sticky (glutinous) rice, this is different from jasmine and other types of rice, it should say “glutinous” on the side
- Coconut milk*
- 1 mango
* 1 small can (~150 mL) of coconut milk would do 3-4 small servings, if you want more, use a bigger can
- Rinse and soak rice. If you’re in a pinch (ie you’re impatient) you can just rinse it
- Cook rice. I used a rice cooker, I’m sure there are other ways, but rice cookers make it much easier. I used a 1:2 rice water ratio.
- Cut up the mango into chunks
- When the rice is almost done or as soon as the rice cooker goes to “warm” instead of “cook”, mix your coconut milk and sugar. I remember someone telling me almost equal parts, but I found that that makes it way too sweet. I would just keep adding a tablespoon of sugar until it’s as sweet as you want.
- If you are hard core, you heat up the sweetened coconut milk in a saucepan, but I used the microwave (about 2 minutes on high) to heat it up
- Add most of the sweetened coconut milk to the rice still in the rice cooker, let it sit there for at least 10 minutes
- Dish out the rice, add the mango chunks and then pour a little more coconut milk on it if you so desire