Gingerbread Rum Cake
Ingredients (for two loaf pans/one bundt pan)
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter bundt pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess
- Bring rum and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from heat.
- Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and sugars. Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture.
- Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
Directions (this make enough for the 2 loaves or 1 bundt)
- In a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum.
- Pour over the cake, allowing to soak in between applications